Search This Blog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Awesome Video on William Blake's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

I was looking around on youtube for videos that would help me and others understand William Blake's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" a little better, when I came across this video. I really like it because it stays away from the deep, deep context, while still presenting the main point in a way that is easy to understand. It is proven that seeing images helps a large amount of people to understand writing better, and this video shows why. Blake was the first Romantic to be well known for both his poetry and his paintings. The main reason for this was because he created them to go together with each other, almost as if they were one piece of work. Throughout the entire video, the screen switches from parts of the poem or Blake's quotes, to pictures/paintings that Blake created to go with the certain part of the text. The creator of this video did a great job deciding which quotes and which lines to put in this video, in order for the viewer to get the greatest, simple understanding of the poem.

When I was first looking for videos that explained this poem well enough to post, I saw this one, watched 20 seconds, and skipped over it like it was just another stupid one. After searching for a few minutes I thought to myself, "Oh boy. This is going to be impossible to find a good, informative video."  I'm not quite sure what provoked me to click on this video again, maybe it was just by chance, but I did. But this time I watched the whole thing and saw that it was much more informative than I originally thought. Before, I thought that it wasn't as in depth as I wanted, and that I didn't want a slideshow type video. But after watching it, I realized that it was a good option to post on this blog, and that it would be good for others to see before going more in depth with the poem, and analyzing the deeper aspects and meanings of it as well.



Video By: Blakeanators

No comments:

Post a Comment